While thinking how to start and write about the topic, I found this excellent BBC documentary “What Ancients Did For Us” episode on India. It saved my time to collect few important inventions/ discoveries and write it down.
You can watch documentary as YouTube clip at the bottom of this post. The team visited various places in India, collected the information and actually tried to imitate in their workshop to prove how ancient Indians invented these technologies and how they used it.
Some of the Indian inventions showed in the documentary are:
Invention of zero – “0” and decimal system
Water clock for accurate measurement
Metal casting and making metal statues
To calculate accurate time, date, zodiacs, astronomy calculations, etc by building a giant architecture jantar Mantar”
Well planned Ancient Indian city in Gujrat State-India
Ancient Indian Toilet and underground sewage system using earthen pipes and bricks
Indian cotton cloths, dyeing techniques and hand-looms machines
Special corrosion free metal alloy to make sword/pillars – Delhi Piller
Ayurveda, means “The knowledge for long life”, it is ancient indian health and medicine practice.
Efforts to make a Perpetual machine
Yoga– Indian methods for physical, mental and spiritual discipline.
Sushruta – Knowledge of Surgery and its special medical instruments. Sushruta Samhita , Sanskrit redaction text which describes over 300 surgical procedures, 120 surgical instruments, and eight categories of human surgery/ plastic surgery.
Apart from this I could recollect now is contribution of an Indian ancient mathematician cum astronomer Aryabhata . He has significant contribution in Trigonometry, Algebra, and Astronomy. Indian government paid tribute to Aryabhata by naming India’s first satellite after his name Aryabhata (Satellite) in 1975.
Also, Baudhayana , an Indian mathematician during 800 BCE, had calculated the value of “Pi” and gave us value as “pi“=3.1416.Yajurveda,which deals with geometry / algebra , is one of four Vedas (ancient Hindu scriptures), has appendices or rules (sutras) which were described by four mathematicians in their work: Mr. Baudhayana (wrote Baudhayana SulbaSutras) , Mr. Apastambha, Mr. Katyayana and Mr. Manava. In book Shulbha Sutras , Mr. Baudhayana has given various mathematical theorems including similar original theorem way before Pythagorean Theorem was told by European Mathematician.
These are just few discoveries and inventions by Indians, I will discuss more about this topic in future. Please find some my old relevant posts and documentary at Youtube below.
My few selected posts on India’s Contribution to Humanity/World:
Handling Unity in Diversity (Multi Religion, cultures, languages) / Inclusiveness approach
Scientific “Vedic” Wisdom:
- Ingredients of Success
- Fundamentals of Happiness
- Ideas for Innovations from ancient Mythological stories
- How India Influenced West
Innovations / Inventions/ Discoveries:
- Best Indian Speakers at TED Talks
- Famous TED Talks by Indian Speakers (Part 2)
- Jugaad Innovation : From India To The World
- Reverse Innovation: New trend from Emerging to Developed countries
- Sixth Sense Technology: Samsung’s Galaxy Gear SmartWatch
New Business Management Approach:
Effective “Karma” Principles:
- Laws of Karma (Good Deeds/Action): How it Works
- Comparing ‘Karma’ : Ancient age Vs Globalization
- “Laws of Karma” Quotes
Astronomy / Understanding of Universe or Life:
- Universe Creation: Similarity Between Indian Mythological Story of “Samudra Manthan” and “Big Bang Theory”
- Significance of Nataraja Pose (Dance of Shiva) in Today’s Life
Social Life /Sense of Belonging / Civilization / Culture:
- Why Divorce Rate is Low In India
- MahaKumbh (Holy Dip) 2013: Largest Human Gathering On The Earth!
- $2 Billion Donation for Kid’s Education and Teacher’s training from Indian Billionaire Mr. Azim Premji
- Summer ‘Holi’ Party: New Trend @UK/Europe
- Big Fat Indian Wedding : Bridal Makeover
- Diwali Celebration-Why and How to Celebrate
HEALTH (Yoga/Meditation) & MEDICINE (Ayurveda) :
- BEST YOGA CENTERS IN THE WORLD
- Yoga for Particular Diseases/Pain
- Ayurveda ( Herbal): Simple Home-Made Remedies
- Meditation: Then and Now!
- Principles of Ayurveda: Ayurvedic Psychology and how Ayurveda is related to Yoga
Watch BBC Documentary- What Ancients (Indians) did For Us
Image Credits: Maurya-“en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Maurya_Dynasty_in_265_BCE.jpg” and Mahabharata Map-“en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mahabharata_BharatVarsh.jpg”
Sources: BBC, Google search, Wikipedia, Youtube, and other links mentioned in the post.